Sustainability Resources for Ophthalmology
EyeSustain's mission is to make healthcare delivery and services in ophthalmology more sustainable—both economically and environmentally.
A Global Coalition Making an Impact
EyeSustain's member societies span the globe and are all joined by one mission - to make ophthalmic care and surgery more sustainable.
Take the EyeSustain Surgical Facility Pledge
Join your peers and take the surgical facility pledge to reduce unnecessary ophthalmic surgical waste.
- Educate surgeons and surgical staff about sustainability and the impact of O.R. waste
- Regularly re-evaluate surgical pack standardization to minimize waste
- Use multidose bottles of topical medication and betadine on multiple patients when possible
- Assess the necessity for patient gowns and full body draping
- Regularly reassess options for reusable versus single-use products and instrumentation
- Assess feasibility of alcohol-based surgical scrub for pre-surgical antisepsis
- Institute or update recycling strategies
Sustainability Topics in Ophthalmology
Sustainability in the OR
Learn why addressing operating room waste is key to sustainability efforts.View Sustainability in the OR
Sustainability in the Clinic
Turn your clinic into part of the solution.View Sustainability in the Clinic
Reduce drug waste to save money and mitigate pollutants.View Drug Waste
Global Green Practices
Explore best practices to shrink your carbon footprint.View Global Green Practices
Sustainability in Ophthalmology - What's New
See how leaders in ophthalmology are making sustainable impact in their practices and communities.
View Industry Initiatives
Public Health Impact of Climate Change
Get the latest resources and news from the Medical Society Consortium on Climate Health.
View Health Impacts
- David F. Chang, MD , Advisory Board, Chair
- Gitanjali Baveja, MD , Advisory Board
- Barbara Erny, MD , Advisory Board
- Oliver Findl, MD , Advisory Board
- John Hovanesian, MD , Advisory Board
- Cathleen McCabe, MD , Advisory Board
- David Palmer, MD , Advisory Board
- Jeff Pettey, MD , Advisory Board
- Alan Robin, MD , Advisory Board
- Todd Sack, MD , Advisory Board
- Cassandra Thiel, PhD , Advisory Board
- Rengaraj Venkatesh, MD , Advisory Board
- Aakriti Garg Shukla, MD , Editorial Board, Chair
- Sjoerd Elferink, MD , Editorial Board
- Darby Miller, MD, MPH , Editorial Board
Connect or Get Involved with EyeSustain
Learn more about how you can get involved with our sustainability efforts!