Sustainability Resources for Ophthalmology
EyeSustain's mission is to make healthcare delivery and services in ophthalmology more sustainable—both economically and environmentally.
Sponsoring Societies (Click logo for resources)
A Global Coalition Making an Impact
EyeSustain's member societies span the globe and are all joined by one mission - to make ophthalmic care and surgery more sustainable.
Things we can do now to reduce our costs and environmental impact
This 2023 evidence-based review article outlines a variety of sustainability strategies for ophthalmic ORs. Read and download this Ophthalmology article here.
Sjoerd Elferink, MD from the Netherlands summarizes steps that we can implement now
Ask your Surgical Facility to take the EyeSustain Pledge
Take the lead in organizing our facility or department to take the pledge to reduce costs and waste.
- Educate surgeons and surgical staff about sustainability and the impact of O.R. waste
- Regularly re-evaluate surgical pack standardization to minimize waste
- Use multidose bottles of topical medication and betadine on multiple patients when possible
- Assess the necessity for patient gowns and full body draping
- Regularly reassess options for reusable versus single-use products and instrumentation
- Assess feasibility of alcohol-based surgical scrub for pre-surgical antisepsis
- Institute or update recycling strategies
Sustainability in the OR
Learn why addressing operating room waste is key to sustainability efforts.View Sustainability in the OR
Sustainability in the Clinic
Turn your clinic into part of the solution.View Sustainability in the Clinic
Reduce drug waste to save money and mitigate pollutants.View Drug Waste
Global Green Practices
Explore best practices to shrink your carbon footprint.View Global Green Practices
Download the EyeSustain App
Introducing the EyeSustain App - the perfect way to stay on top of your ophthalmic sustainable lifestyle goals! Download the EyeSustain App today.
- Download the EyeSustain app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Click "create account" on the main page and fill out all required information.
- Get an email to the email used to verify your account.
- Once the email is verified, app access is granted for the user to enjoy!
- David F. Chang, MD , Advisory Board, Chair
- Gitanjali Baveja, MD , Advisory Board
- Barbara Erny, MD , Advisory Board
- Oliver Findl, MD , Advisory Board
- John Hovanesian, MD , Advisory Board
- Cathleen McCabe, MD , Advisory Board
- David Palmer, MD , Advisory Board
- Jeff Pettey, MD , Advisory Board
- Alan Robin, MD , Advisory Board
- Todd Sack, MD , Advisory Board
- Cassandra Thiel, PhD , Advisory Board
- Rengaraj Venkatesh, MD , Advisory Board
- Aakriti Garg Shukla, MD , Editorial Board, Chair
- Sjoerd Elferink, MD , Editorial Board
- Darby Miller, MD, MPH , Editorial Board